How to Practice Self-Care
September is Self-Care Awareness Month, making now a perfect time to reflect on the importance of self-care and how you’re incorporating it into your everyday life. However, self-care is a year-round practice. From the stress of jobs and relationships to current events and more, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed and mentally, emotionally, and physically drained. That’s where self-care comes in. By regularly taking time to focus on your health, you can take on each day feeling more focused, energized, and confident. Here are some ways you can practice self-care.
Why is self-care so important?
Practicing self-care means you’re taking time to pay attention to your well-being and your needs. Stress can have a huge negative impact on your health, causing headaches, anxiety, lack of focus, sleep problems, and more.[i] Self-care can help you better manage stress and improve your mental, emotional, and physical health.
How to practice self-care
There are lots of ways to practice self-care, and self-care looks different for everyone. Need some ideas? Here are 10 ways to practice self-care.
- Every day, write down a few things that went well. This can help you get in the habit of focusing on the good in life and finding good things even on bad days. Practicing gratitude can help you build a more positive mindset.
- Get organized for the week. Whether that’s creating a to-do list for work, a shopping list for the week’s meals, or a schedule for the next day, planning and organizing can help you feel calm and focused during the week.
- Boost your self-care time with aromatherapy. Aromatherapy uses scent to improve your mood. For example, lavender promotes calmness, peppermint promotes focus, and lemon promotes feeling energized. Try using an essential oil diffuser, candles, or bath products to benefit from these scents. We especially love our new Lavender Body Butter andLavender Body Serum for nourishing your skin and soothing your mind.
- Take the saying “tidy desk, tidy mind” and apply it to your living space. This doesn’t have to mean a full day of cleaning your house (although if that’s what works for you, great!), but it can consist of taking a few minutes each day to put items where they belong. You deserve a clean, calm living space, and creating one can help keep your mind calm, too.
- Move your body. Whether you prefer an intense workout or a quick walk around the block, physical activity can make you feel better mentally and physically. Bonus points if you go outside and get some fresh air and sunshine!
- Prioritize getting enough sleep. When you’ve got a full plate, it can be easy to say you don’t have time to sleep. However, too many days without enough sleep can lead to burnout. Set a bedtime and try to stick to it every day. Creating a nighttime skincare routine can help tell your brain you are winding down for the day and it’s almost time for sleep.
- Eat healthy. This can be easier said than done, so if overhauling your entire diet seems unrealistic, start with a few healthy changes. Add a side of vegetables to your dinner. Replace ice cream with fresh fruit a few nights a week. Find ways to add more protein and fiber to one meal per day.
- Take time for a hobby or favorite activity. Whether that’s reading a book, gardening, working on a craft project, or something else, spend time on an activity that brings you joy. This can help you feel like your day isn’t all work and no play.
- Put down the screen, especially if you find yourself mindlessly scrolling or comparing yourself to others online. Give your mind – and eyes! – a rest and focus on the here and now in the real world, not just the digital world.
- Redecorate to create a space that brings calmness and joy to your day. This doesn’t have to mean buying all new furniture or decorations. See what you have in your house currently that you can rearrange or make small purchases like candles or throw blankets to create a cozy space.
Tips for practicing self-care
If practicing self-care seems like a lot of work, remember these tips.
- Don’t focus on perfection. Self-care is meant to rejuvenate you, not stress you out even more. Instead of focusing on being “perfect” at self-care, focus on trying to find a few minutes a few times a week to relax and unwind in the way that works best for you.
- Make self-care a habit. You aren’t going to practice self-care once and instantly feel better forever. Find ways to incorporate self-care into your daily or weekly routine.
- Choose activities you enjoy. If a bubble bath sounds amazing, go for it! If you’d rather go for a run or call a friend, do that instead. There are many ways to practice self-care, so choose something you enjoy and you’ll be more likely to stick with it.
Soothe your skin and mind with Natural Radiant Life
If you find baths relaxing or skincare routines calming, you’ll love Natural Radiant Life. Our skincare products are made with natural ingredients for healthy, radiant skin. Ready to practice self-care? Click here to shop our collections.